Well, William loved his chocolate plaque he iced at the Thornton's party . I had to stop him eating the lot in one go as I'm not too sure what that would do to his stoma output!
I also had to stop him sharing it with Oliver. Oliver loves chocolate but I wonder how many people realise it's poison for dogs!
A few weeks ago, Oliver found and devoured a bar of chocolate Hope had bought me for a treat - unfortunately, it was 70% Lindt! A certain level of cocoa per kg weight is toxic to a dog and can cause death and quickly too. It takes between 4 and 72 hours from eating it for symptoms to start.
Oliver ate his chocolate on a Friday - typical! Just like the children he has his emergencies over the weekend!
Oliver ate enough to worry about toxicity but not quite enough to fear for his life. It was a scary weekend though while we waited to see if he would show signs of sickness and agitation that could lead onto fitting and death. Sure enough, on Saturday night, Oli was sick and in the early hours of Sunday morning, when he is usually sound asleep, he was pacing around and chewing and tearing up storage boxes. He made a huge mess! It was 3am, I couldn't just leave the children, so I decided to watch him closely and contact the vet at about 7. I slept with him downstairs but all went quiet at 5 so I went back to bed. Oli was back to normal by the morning. I think he had suffered a reaction to the chocolate but not quite enough to be something he couldn't get over quickly. Had he have eaten more it would have been different.
The vet nurse told me that most dogs who get really sick and even die of cocoa poisoning are those who have scoffed all the hidden easter eggs or whole boxes of chocolates left on the side at Christmas, or even wrapped and under the tree! We keep all chocolate well away from him now, in rooms he doesn't go to and then out of his reach.
This wasn't the fist time Oliver's Golden Retriever appetite and naughtiness has had us worried for him. On Christmas Day, he stole a large piece of Christmas cake from a plate. It was a home made one and nearly 100% fruit. Raisons are also very toxic and Oli was just a little puppy then. Oli had eaten the chocolate some time before I found the chewed up wrapper, too late to make him sick, but we were with him when he ate the cake. I spent most of Christmas Day syringing salt water into this poor little puppy to make him sick. I hated it but it saved his life. I told the story here .
My boyfriend had no idea that raisons were poison and told me it wasn't worth calling the vet. When I called for advice on the raisons and the chocolate it was taken very seriously indeed. If you have a dog it's well worth researching and reminding yourself what is poison for them, especially of you have children who may leave things around or feed them what they think is a treat.